Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Realism Challenge by Mark Crilley

I read a review copy provided by the publisher in return for a fair and honest review.

The Realism Challenge by Mark Crilley

I first saw Mark Crilley's work on Youtube. I was amazed to see him building up a hyper realistic drawing of a crumpled piece of paper and of egg shells. When I saw this book, I was immediately curious to understand his methods.

Straight off, let me state that this isn't a book on how to draw. It assumes the reader already knows the basics (lines, shading, blending, colouring, etc) and focuses on doing hyper realistic drawings from very simple still lives. If you don't draw, don't expect this book to teach you how. If you already draw, Mark will show you how to capture the smallest details and to do a perfect layout.

I am not a drawer, unfortunately, and, even so, I was fascinated by the step by step pictures. I hope to apply his techniques to my technical sketches, to make them more enticing and realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment