Saturday, May 21, 2016

God, Stuff, Life and Trivialities

As those of you who know me, I definitely fall on the minimalist side of the consumerism/minimalism spectrum. Not that I live out of a backpack or hold "no buy" month challenges. For me, it is more of a way of life. I don't shop as a distraction, I don't care for upgrading technology without need, I don't think about the Jones, let alone about keeping up with them. This is just the way I view life, not a huge insight and conscious effort. 

The minimalism movement intrigues me. On one hand, I do agree with a lot that is said, minus any radicalism (see said backpack). On the other, it seems like some people see decluttering as synonymous with minimalism and as a way of life, not as a step to a different life. As though it were an end to itself. I never went deep into the minimalism websites but even I had heard of Joshua Becker of Becoming Minimalist website, so I was curious about his book.

I must say I was underwhelmed by the book. Most of what he says is a repeat of things I've read before, even without a lot of effort on my part. A lot of feel good stuff about finding your true calling, meaning, etc. There isn't much new material. However, a lot of readers have called it life changing and inspiring, so it must speak out to some people.

I also hadn't expected so much religious content, citing the Christian Bible and scriptures as models. I understand that this will be helpful to some but I would have preferred that this side of it had been more obvious from the marketing and cover.

Bottom line - some people will appreciate it as an introduction to minimalism, others will prefer to get the information available online. If you are looking for a book on decluttering and organize, I would recommend getting a book specifically focused on that. If you are looking for self help and the meaning of your life, head over to that shelf.

This review was based on a copy I received from the editors, in return for my fair and unbiased opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment